cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by Phatman
Nothing wrong with disliking flared bars. I know a lot people like them but I'm not a fan either. For me, I just wasn't happy with my lever reach in the drops. People are different, which is why there's so many options out there.
I also no likie 'flare' bars. The stock bars which came on my Poseiden X and the Framed Basswood both were quite strong 'flare', the Basswood extreme.
The shift/brake levers are so tilted that it's very difficult to get a proper 2 finger grip, the the drops or flats, for braking, or to actuate a shift action, because of the extreme tilt.
My initial reaction was to go to std road conifg bars - but I resisted. Looked for the least 'flare' I could find. That got me to the ZIPP Service Course XPLR 70 & 80.
I bought an XPLR 80 in 44, and have it on the Poseiden X. It's noted at 5 deg 'Flare', but most importantly the axial rotation of the drops is very minimal, so I can set the Shifter/levers very close to my road position. That seems to work OK.
For the Basswood, I'm gonna put on a regular road bar and see how that works.
The stock Bars on the Basswood are really Extreme, in my view - don't know the 'flare' #, but the bars measure 46 cm across the tops behind the Levers and measure 58cm at the bar ends - CRAZY ! And they have an extreme outward rotation of the drops, which heavily angle the levers. Nasty, and uncomfortable.

Framed Basswood Stock Flare bars - way Tooo Much! Rotation/Flare, both

Haven't found a need for that width on any of the technical stuff I chose to do on the gravel bike.
The whole Flare/Spread/Outward sweep thing is really not well defined in the bike biz. WHen you see a 'Flare' number, what is it? The 'flare angle of the bar flats? What about the axial rotation of the drops? Where does that come in? IS 'Flare' the combo of both ? Seems there needs some better definition to what all comes into play on dropbar design.
Thread is prodding me to get the Basswood flare bar replaced and ride that a bit more... LOL!
Ride On
Yuri