View Single Post
Old 05-03-23, 02:40 PM
poiuyt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
There’s some contradiction in the specs between “a commuter” and something that can go on trails, even non technical. Some features I’d consider critical for a commuter are a rack, a kickstand and lights (fenders would be highly recommended in some climate, but maybe not in CA).

The good compromise for me would be “equipped hardtails with gravel tires”. They are often categorised as “touring e-bikes”, but this category also includes bikes with very upright position and more comfort oriented. The advantage of having gravel tires is that they will be OK on the road and off-road, as long as it’s not too technical. The best ones in this category to me would be the Orbea Kemen (available in 2 versions, one more road, and one more off road - that would be my favourite choice), the Cannondale Tesoro Neo X (although the version in your budget would probably be “too basic”, but derailleurs and cassettes are easy upgrades), and the Specialized Turbo Vado (and if you want to lean on the gravel side, the Turbo Vado SL). The Turbo Vado is also available with an internal geared hub and belt (instead of derailleur and chain), which would be a positive point for maintenance.

Last edited by poiuyt; 05-03-23 at 02:57 PM.
Likes For poiuyt: