View Single Post
Old 05-05-23, 07:09 AM
PeteHski

Liked 5,182 Times in 3,203 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
Just trying to understand the reasons, because the normal evolution usually means increase in performance (or at least stagnation).
Yes, a bit of a stretch to say that everything becoming less aero. I was only thinking about the mix of large tires and low deep, shallow Al rims, not about frames or forks.
The only performance parameter that has taken a hit is weight. Everything else is incrementally better, especially tyres and brakes. Most "casual" riders are likely to value better ride quality, improved shifting and disc brakes more than a few hundred grams of weight saving. That's probably why the market went in that direction rather than some industry-wide conspiracy.

The bottom line for me is that nobody could convince me to go back to a rim-braked bike on narrow tyres and mechanical shifting. "Serious" riders can choose to have it all, but the low weight now comes with a major cost that probably doesn't make sense for all but the most competitive racers fighting for the podium, especially hill climbers. For me, 0.7 kg weight makes no significant difference. It's worth next to nothing and only really measurable on major climbs. Maybe worth 30 secs on a 1 hour climb up Alpe d'Huez for example.
Likes For PeteHski: