Old 05-08-23, 04:52 PM
aaronM46

Bikes: A Janky Schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Fork selection questions....

Many of you have followed my Schwinn build. A crappy bike that I upgraded quite a lot. Well, I went from the garbage Schwinn spring forks to a rigid fork. I don't like the rigid forks because of the rough golf cart paths I ride on. Just too rough. I want to go with a good air-suspension fork. The problem is that this bike came with 600c tires. I upgraded the wheels and tires to 600c as well but the forks are 37mm offset (old and new). I assume that Schwinn paired 600c tires to a 37mm fork because that was the geometry the frame was set up for or they wanted to put 29" wheels on it to make it look cooler.

Well, I can't find a decent air fork in a 37mm offset. Is there one out there that will accept a 29" tire or will I need to go to 42mm? If I did go to 42mm I am reading that the trail figure could make it more sensitive. Is there a large difference between 37 and 42 in handling characteristics?

I need a straight fork, 220mm tube, 1 1/8", 100mm QR, and 445mm from crown to dropout. I have no idea how much travel I would need. I am not jumping. Just basic rough mostly flat terrain and streets. 5-8 miles per ride at about 15mph.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank You,
Aaron