Old 05-11-23, 04:40 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 1,492 Times in 1,165 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
I think many users removed the wheel reflectors because they're just not effective for their intended purpose. From a distance viewed broadside, they look very impressive, but most side conflicts involve a cyclist in motion, where the bicycle is approaching the conflicting vehicle from one side and the wheel reflectors are completely out of the headlight beam pattern until just before the collision. The most effective method of conspicuity for side and turning conflicts is a visible headlamp on the bicycle, as the reflectors aren't generally in the beam pattern and an emitted beam that reaches the conflicting driver's eyes is needed.
I actually put reflectors on my first two touring bikes. I built them up, thus reflectors did not come on them. Yes, I even paid money to buy reflectors. BUT, they were cheap reflectors, and not made very well, they did not reflect very well at all. I eventually chucked them.

All of my touring bikes (three) have reflective sidewalls when I tour. Yes, a reflective sidewall does not move like a reflector moves (it moves, but the reflected light is from the same place as if it was not moving), but it still is quite effective and even though part of it is hidden behind panniers, part of it is always visible.