View Single Post
Old 05-18-23, 03:27 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by spinconn
Not sure I am in the correct forum, excuse me if not. I want to upgrade my Giant Contend 4 AR with a Shimano 105 groupset and Hunt aluminum wheelset. The groupsets I am looking at are with the older rim brakes, and that is OK with me, but my stock wheelset and the proposed Hunt set are disc wheels. Is there a problem trying to install and use rim these rim brakes on either of those disc wheelsets?
I'm assuming you mean whether you could use the levers in the groupset for your disc brakes.

(It's not likely the bike has a place to mount the actual rim brake calipers and they won't work on disc brake wheels anyway.)

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...vs-rim-brakes/

Geared toward the casual rider and at-home mechanic, the biggest upside of mechanical disc brakes is that they are compatible with normal rim brake shifters. Mechanical disc brakes are also cheaper than comparable hydraulic disc brakes, both in terms of the brakes themselves and the bikes designed for them.
Originally Posted by spinconn
... so I was thinking of getting the rim brake version which is considerably cheaper. I did not know if it was possible to use rim brakes on a bike set up for mechanical discs, hence the original question.
You can use the levers on your mechanical disc brakes but you can't use the rim brake calipers. There's not going to be a place to mount the brake calipers and the rims on the disc wheel aren't designed to be used for rim brakes.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-18-23 at 03:32 PM.