Old 05-19-23, 02:13 PM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
I had forgotten I posted this. Appreciate the replies. So, I'm one year past surgery and everything has gone mostly well. My neck still does get fatigued more often than it used to, but this is really only an issue on rides of over 3-hours (or after long work days). One odd thing, unrelated to cycling, is that many of my dress shirts can't be fully buttoned when I wear ties since my neck has grown. This seems to be due to my traps and neck muscles taking on more load when I lift weights at the gym. Unfortunately, while the surgery immediately ended the pain and tingling down my arm from the nerve compression, it turns out that I waited too long to have the surgery to avoid permanent nerve damage. So, the nerve in my right arm struggles to fire properly and the muscles associated with it (delts, the area around the scapula, right pec) don't work as well as a result, causing my upper body to shift responsibility for certain lifts (like shoulder presses) to other muscles like traps.

But otherwise, I was able to return to normal cycling training shortly after I wrote the OP. Squats and deadlifts are off the menu just to be safe, replaced by machine leg presses, but I don't see that as a huge problem. Of course, I had disc replacement, not disc fusion which I understand is a whole other animal when it comes to recovery and long-term effects.
Likes For goose70: