Old 05-22-23, 05:34 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
The first American to win the Tour de France might have been a (former) kid named Brian Smith, instead of Greg LeMond, had things gone differently. After a year of racing with seniors as an intermediate, eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches while hitching and vanning across the country, placing in senior races that included national team members, Brian was not allowed to race as a senior in the new Vuelta de Bisbee stage race the next spring, because of a new USCF rule that forbade 1st and 2nd-year juniors from riding senior, allowing only 3rd-year juniors that option. He was so looking forward to riding against the phenomenal and already-famous Greg Lemond that he could taste it. Last I heard he had quit the sport and was living with a French girl and singing in a punk-rock band. Brian's contemporaries and buddies included a young Alexi Grewal, fwiw, and who knows what might have been. I think I know how the OP might feel.
Never know that. Or best USA hope - 2nd in Redlands and Tour of Utah as a junior against the pros also pulled out and took a break.
But the kids are not stupid. They see that the adults had no problem giving one group an unfair advantage (cheating def) - while at the same time preaching fairness (around drugs).