Old 05-24-23, 09:20 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
That was not the case when the OPs bike was made, and he said it hasn't had any real service.

Again, original 6 speed chains don't work on 7.
It won't matter with friction shifting. The difference ctc from one cog to another on a 6sp vs a 7sp is .5mm or less, the chain won't be so wide that with friction it will make any difference. The OP can just install, adjust the limit screws and cable tension, and go ride.

Originally Posted by WT160
I'm the original owner--bought the bike in Vienna around '86. I don't think the bike has been altered. It also had mismatched hubs (Miche, front; Normandy, rear) from the beginning, so I assume the rear wheel was a mistake in the factory or store where I bought it.
Probably damaged in shipping, before the advent of prebuilt wheels on every bike if a lower to midrange bike was too poorly treated by the post office elephants we would just make sure the rim was the same and not worry much about the hubs as long as they weren't a different color. People might notice rim shape and color but not hub branding and rear wheels were easily damaged.

Last edited by Russ Roth; 05-24-23 at 09:25 PM.