Old 05-29-23, 05:54 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1286 Post(s)
Liked 1,417 Times in 718 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
I also saw studies reaching the conclusion that the best efficiency is obtained by the skinniest tires that can offer the minimum acceptable level of comfort you need for your typical rides, in conjunction with fit rims. But I rather go on feeling: 23 mm tires still have a thin edge over 28 mm for my typical rides.
I have no doubt that pros can obtain much better efficiency than me with wider tires, but they use 10000-15000 EUR optimized bikes, while I use mass production bikes below 1/3 of that price. Thus, it might not be a surprise that the old benchmark “skinnier and lighter – the better” is still suitable for my poorly optimized bikes. There is no efficiency in trying to mimic the gears of the professionals, if my pocket does not allow me to go full of their range.
i've not seen a study which takes into account road surface that actually concludes this. on a drum in a lab, or a wind tunnel, sure.

if you have a link to one, i would love to see it. remember that the energy to vibrate the bicycle on narrow, hard tires on a rough road has to come from somewhere....