Old 05-31-23, 09:28 AM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 489 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
back to porcupines. I was once exploring in NH, in my Jeep & came across an enormous dead porcupine along a paved road. I thought it would be interesting to take photos. so I turned around & approached on foot. I never touched the animal but I did get close to take close up photos & somehow I was struck, or stung or whatever you call it by at least 1 maybe 2, I don't remember, quills! I swear I never touched it because it smelled gross & flies were swirling around it. do those things have proximity sensors & can shoot quills?! even after death?! eek! anyway - it's a beast to avoid for sure!
They absolutely cannot shoot the quills. We have a very dedicated and knowledgeable wildlife rehabilitator here in Chelmsford, with a large following on FB, Instagram, Patreon, etc., and this is one of the things she has to keep telling people. The quills are purely defensive and porcupines, if left alone, are very peaceful animals. However, the barbs on those things are nasty indeed.
Likes For EVlove: