Thread: 1972 Falcon
View Single Post
Old 06-07-23, 12:08 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
1972 Falcon

I picked this up from a former now retired co-worker. He always bragged about The Falcon, but never rode it for the ten years I worked with him.

I’ve adjusted and corrected a couple things on the bike but the fit just doesn’t work for me so I’ve got it posted locally.

Has about a 60-61cm seat tube and about a 56 cm top tube. Bolt-on derailleur hanger.
27” steel rims with nice condition chrome on them.

Derailleirs are from the 1980’s and the former owner thinks he recalls having a shop replace the derailleurs for some reason or another. I believe he was the original owner of the bike. Current derailleurs are SunTour LePree.

Gearing is 3x5, half-step large and middle chainrings, and a smaller bailout 3rd chainring.

Frame is Reynolds 531 steel.

Some Falcon decals are good, some are bike-rack transport scraped up.

rides nice for what it is.

If it doesn’t sell locally then I might put a single freewheel cog on back, add a Singulator chain tensioner, and use the half-step gearing up front to use it as a two-speeder bike ( may or may not leave the smaller chainring depending if the tensioner can take up the slack. I don’t think the centerpull brakes can reach 700c rims.

Anyway, what s the general consensus on value as it sits, and as a bare frameset, and if I convert it to a 2x1 setup?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Likes For treebound: