Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 1,060 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
More on the topic:
The shocking toll of Tesla’s Autopilot - Washington Post
Extract:
Former NHTSA senior safety adviser Missy Cummings, a professor at George Mason University’s College of Engineering and Computing, said the surge in Tesla crashes is troubling.

“Tesla is having more severe — and fatal — crashes than people in a normal data set,” she said in response to the figures analyzed by The Post. One likely cause, she said, is the expanded rollout over the past year and a half of Full Self-Driving, which brings driver-assistance to city and residential streets. “The fact that … anybody and everybody can have it. … Is it reasonable to expect that might be leading to increased accident rates? Sure, absolutely.”
The videos embedded in the article are especially interesting.

An interesting discussion that included Dr. Missy Cummings (cited in above quote) about human interaction to include complacency and distraction when dealing with so-called autonomous controls of machinery is below.

Discussion especially relevant to this thread can be found at timeline 10:15 through 27:00, though the entire presentation is worthwhile. It may prove illuminating to those who believe that collisions resulting from distracted driving will be eliminated or even reduced by so-called autonomous operation that depends on constant human monitoring for safe operation.