Old 06-16-23, 06:53 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 3,677 Times in 1,466 Posts
So! Little bit of a history lesson!

In another life of mine, I collect vintage stationary woodworking tools, and have decided to specialize in vintage Craftsman tools, specifically from the 1940s to the early 1960s. Once the cost-cutting of the mid-60s started, there was an abrupt drop off in aesthetic focus, and a decline in quality followed soon after that. So, I'm familiar with the Sears catalogs to a degree, but more of the specific earlier Craftsman catalogs, which are awesome to peruse through. Therefore, it was a fun exercise to wade through the early 1960s-1970s summer catalogs to look at all their bicycle offerings. Some of the marketing is quite creative

The fashion was as fascinating as the bicycles, but I did end up finding this specific iteration of the Ted Williams Sport Racer. I think others have found it as well, so I'm not the first or anything, but I did want to find out what was the date range on this bicycle. I was curious about the Reynold 531 Free Spirit as well.

From the 1965 Sears Spring/Summer catalog

This specific model was offered for two years, 1965 and 1966, and then disappeared.

Just for anyone interested, 94.50 in 1965 dollars is equal to over $900 in todays money! It's really saying something that I think I would have had a slightly hard time paying 94.50 in today's money (!!) for this bike (in it's current condition). But I guess if it was brand new, on the showroom floor, that would be an easy sell.

Nonetheless, it means that anyone who purchased this bike almost 60 years ago did so by making a very substantial investment in their purchase. I wonder what that potential buyer in the mid-60s would think about our deflationary bicycle market of today, with just an insane myriad of choices. I don't think they had many bikes like this one back in the 1960s unless you specifically went to a dedicated bike shop, and even then, I have no idea if there were many high-fallutin' Italians available in main street USA.

That being said, while there are obviously cost cutting measures on this bike, like the crushed stay ends, the stamped dropouts, etc., this is a nice package, and presents as a really nice bicycle, probably one that would have turned a lot of heads in the 1960s. I'm really excited to see this one come together.

Some obvious, 'right away' thoughts:

1. I will be replacing the spokes w/ stainless steel spokes and rebuilding the hubs. I'm reaaaaallly hoping that the hub races aren't shot. I don't care about the cone nuts, and if they are, I'll either source some new ones, or use that trick where I find a fresh section of the cone nut, and orient it downward so that the majority of pressure from the bearings rides on the smooth point. I want to weigh the rims, and of course if I'm taking the wheels down to the components, it begs the question: keep the old rims? Upgrade to 700c? Tubulars? LOTS of options here. I got really inspired by a completely beautiful version of this bicycle I saw on these forums, posted by vintageracer :

https://www.bikeforums.net/21264705-post10.html

VintageRacer, if you are still around, I'd love to hear more about this project of yours. It looks like your rims are different than mine. I really like the look of them. Any idea what they are?

With the black leather saddle, the alloy Nuovo Record RD, the rims, etc., this bike has been extremely tastefully upgraded, and it one of the classiest bikes I've seen on here. It also helps that it is in stellar condition. If I found another one in that nice of shape, I don't think I'd be able to turn it down. Just a real headturner, and has this nice 'period correct upgraded' aura about it.

2. I'm going to try to save the saddle. It is rock hard, but I've seen worse. It is relatively crack-free, and I would consider it in better condition than my old PX-10 saddle...

Still going strong today

3. Bars. I'm wondering if the bars might be toast. I've read up on sagging bars, but I thought it was a French-only thing. Maybe not! I'll take some more detailed pics and let you decide.

4. We'll check out the AVA death stems wedge area and add some relief holes at the ends of the slits.

5. I appreciate your thoughts on the cotters. Haven't had much experience there. I removed one once before, without the intention of re-using them (was on a scrap rescue), but I like the creative ideas shared about getting them off - using a socket, heat, etc.

I'll pull the saddle tonight and get started on that, and I might as well inspect the hubs for wear. Stay tuned!

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 06-18-23 at 12:56 AM.
Likes For AdventureManCO: