View Single Post
Old 06-21-23, 03:48 PM
NYLowLife

Bikes: Greenspeed GT16; previously, mostly recumbents and track bikes (fixies)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 17 Posts
Question First cruiser pre-purchase question

Hello all, lifelong cyclist here. Right now my ride is a Greenspeed recumbent trike, which is fantastic. Used to ride fixies Bromptons. BUT - just this week the cruiser bug bit me!! I can't explain it, other than - I grew up in Southern Cali and have been admiring them for many decades, both stock and custom. I'm hoping you can help me to find a cruiser that fits me. I've had some joint issues, so I need to pay attention to certain angles and ergos. I currently ride a recumbent, which is fantastic. I had a great titanium Brompton that I had to sell because there was just a bit too much weight on my wrists. All else was great. It looks like a cruiser would fix that with the higher handlebars. I know fairly well what kind of posture I need. My height is 5'11' (~180cm). Inseam 29" (~73.7 cm). I'm looking for a cruiser that fits these characteristics. I know I can look thru Craigslist for bargains. But my main concern is quality and a pain-free ride.

I know I will go for a test-ride if possible, or at least a good return/exchange policy. My "use case" is weekend and evening rides up to 20 miles on mostly flat streets, parks, paths, boardwalks. Here's what I'd be looking for.
  1. Under $1000
  2. Upright rising position (lower back issues)
  3. Handlebars high and not too far from body (tendonitis in wrists)
  4. Good leg extension (tender meniscus)
  5. Alloy preferable but steel not a deal-breaker
  6. 3-7 speeds preferable but no derailleurs
  7. Doesn't look like an "old man's" bike. I already AM old, I don't want to add to it!
  8. Hopefully, a "wow" factor

Looking around at retail offerings, I realize I may end up installing a longer aftermarket stem or longer bars, a more comfortable seat. Here are the models and styles that have caught my eye:
  • Sun Cruz 3
  • Sixthreezero Around the Block
  • Sixthreezero EVRYJourney
  • Jamis Earth Cruiser 3 (maybe with longer bars)
  • Vivelo Rider X (maybe with a taller stem)

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

--Greg