Old 06-22-23, 03:50 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4642 Post(s)
Liked 5,176 Times in 3,200 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
Ok, I'll bite. Remember, this is my opinion. I don't really see any revolutionary "break-throughs" in the last 20 years. Yes, we've seen new parts from existing technology (e.g. tubeless tires and disc brakes), a little bit of recycling old technology (e.g. index shifters), but mostly I see a progression of existing technology and mechanical parts.

The only really innovative thing I can remember in the past 20 years, and by "innovative" I mean something revolutionary, a game changer, not seen before, and not thought about or invented before or unique.

What is it? I can't really think of one thing, actually.
  • Carbon fiber? No, it's been around for decades in other industries
  • Electronic shifting? No, it's been around for decades in automobiles
  • Disc brakes? No, they've been around for 50+ years in the auto industry
  • Tubeless tires? No, they've been on automobiles for 50+ years
  • LED lights? No, they've been around for decades
  • Super steels for bike frames? No, that metallurgy (for the most part) has been around for decades in many industries
  • Automated fabrication? No, it's been around for decades
  • Helmet technology? No, it's been around in Moto GP for years
Anyone have a technology, part, component where it is unique to the bike industry and a new, never seen before technology? Seriously, I'd like to find a few things.

--
The thread title was about bicycle improvements, not entirely new forms of technology never before used by mankind. This is not space exploration or nuclear physics.