Old 06-22-23, 06:22 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5910 Post(s)
Liked 2,779 Times in 1,551 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
What you say is true FBinNY but I'm not sure if you missed the OP stating this was for a SS application. I'm more sprinter than climber but certainly not a super cyclist; I have pulled QR SS rear wheels out of alignment even with closed cam QRs and serrated washers to help with the bite. I contemplated tensioners like the OP but ended up just swapping the axle to a threaded nut axle (no issues since).
I've been riding track bikes on roads since 1967. Even using a smallish chainring I've NEVER experienced wheel slippage. The various wheels used include; classic bolt on track hub, SA 2 speed fixed gear hub, and a track hub converted to QR so I wouldn't need a wrench on longer rides.

Thr key is to use hubs and QRs that have the proven design specs that were universal before folks forgot them.

In the event the OP wants belt and suspenders confidence he can use a cap screw and nut in the slot forward of the wheel. Otherwise he might use a device like the one pictured, with a DIY stop riding the back of the dropout side saddle.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.