Old 06-22-23, 06:47 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4858 Post(s)
Liked 4,003 Times in 2,599 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
The issue with this is if a QR skewer is used instead of a threaded axle, it can be susceptible to being pulled out of alignment. Having a tensioner holding the axle in place can mitigate this.
Or ... use nutted hubs. With a nutted hub, setting chain "tension' (more properly called slack) correctly is easy. Granted the routine is slightly different for each bike. On one of my bikes I push the wheel back with m y left hand on the tire at the chainstays. Pull the tire over hard against the left chanstay. Tighten the right nut enough to hold. Center the tire. Check the chain slack with the wrench. If I like it, I tighten the left nut. Spin the tire and watch the chain slack. (I never want to see ti going tight.) If OK I tighten the left nut and go.

This sounds like an arduous routine. It isn't and never do you have to juggle more than one variable at a time. By contrast, setting chain tension and centering the tire using a quick release when you are tires or having a bad day can one of those juggling acts best done some other time except you gotta get home. In the dark and wet adds to the fun.
Likes For 79pmooney: