Old 06-24-23, 05:02 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 537 Posts
Originally Posted by homeless in ca.
I found this online for $50 and asked my kid if she wanted it. I know she'll get bored with it that's why I only buy cheap bikes I can flip and use the money for other stuff she likes like video games and trips to te zoo. I bought her that obscene puppet she wanted even though her mom said it was bad.

Anyway, is there any way I can put some decent brakes on this and maybe swap the rear wheel for a 3-speed internal hub or add a derailleur? She likes to ride bikes with me but she's old enough now she knows the single speed Walmart bikes her mom buys suck. She wants one with speeds and she needs at least one good hand bake.
disc brakes.. why? that coaster brake is stronger.
3 speed? yes... and those are now available as a coaster brake too..
derailleur? yes, but then you'll need sidepull brakes.. and considering the rear dropouts are only , what.. 120mm apart, it will be a stretch to accomplish since the narrowest rear freewheel hubs are 126mm....

best to leave it like it is, then upgrade in a couple years.... that bike is rare and cool.... most surviving "stingray" class bikes are step-thru frames
Likes For maddog34: