Old 06-27-23, 06:37 AM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
That's me. And today's weather is just horrible.
The thing is everyone has a different idea of what great or horrible weather looks like. I rode from San Diego, CA to Pensacola, FL with a young guy who grew up in south Florida. It was mid Feb thru mid Mar and there was frost many nights. It generally got into the 50s pretty quickly most days, but never got real warm, certainly not hot much if at all. I thought it was great. He hated it. He complained a lot and was kind of miserable. The last or close to the last day it finally got hot and humid and I said something about it being oppressive. He was incredulous. He said, "Are you kidding? This is the first nice day of the whole trip." Then after thinking for a moment, he noted, "This is the first time the whole trip I have heard you complain at all about the weather." I'll note that the trip included at least one day of 50F with wind and hard rain and at least one night in the mid teens F.

My point being that it all depends on the individual. To a large extent we can tolerate a lot that is outside what we prefer though. I'd prefer to not need to ride with temps above the upper mid 60s or maybe the low 70s if the humidity is very low, but I have needed to tolerate 110F+ on some tours. When you plan multimonth tours weeks ahead you get what you get. Also when you try to thread the needle between passes and services opening as snowpack is cleared and before summer heat kickes in you can't always get it right. I know that even when I plan based of historic temps and predicted openings I seem to very often see record heat when/where I tour. It seems to find me.

These days I live in Tallahassee so I live with hot humid weather. for daily riding I mostly trail ride starting before dawn with a helmet mounted light when it is hot. It is still warmer than I prefer, but I manage. If I do a long tour like weeks or months long I just live with the heat figuring it is unavoidable. I do try to choose a cooler time for some routes though. You won't see me at Needles or Big Bend in August.