Old 06-27-23, 02:07 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Not commenting about the quality or methodology of the survey, but I understand the results.

Over last 50+ years I've noticed cyclists becoming more assertive (for better or worse, not a value judgement). I can see how drivers might associate that assertiveness with cyclists kitted out that way, and therefore focusing their resentment selectively. This isn't any different that how we, as cyclists, make judgements about drivers based on the type of car or pickup, so the only surprise is that anybody is surprised.

On a side note, I found it interesting that they said that bicycle advocates were arguing against helmet mandates. Years ago, as helmet use was becoming mainstream, the only people talking helmet mandates were self appointed bike advocates. This is one reason I parted company form bike advocacy years ago, and I remember many times where I'd be in the minority arguing against mandates at public meetings. OTOH- this came out of Australia, where there's been a national helmet mandate for decades, so maybe the shoe is on the other foot down there.
I don't see or hear a lot of people arguing for mandates for adults these days. The selective enforcement issues are just too glaring, and it's just not effective. The kids' mandate is on the books in most states, and enforcement is pretty much nonexistent. My understanding is that the emphasis has gone to promoting the use by giving away free helmets to kids.
Likes For livedarklions: