View Single Post
Old 06-28-23, 03:36 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5921 Post(s)
Liked 2,805 Times in 1,567 Posts
I have a bit of an issue with challenges like this and the implied virtue signalling. Everyone has his own unique situation, and circumstances. It might relate to geography, ie. distance and terrain, schedule, family responsibilities, health or physical condition, economic considerations, and so on. We arrange our lives as best we can based on that and that may or may not include going car free (even for a day).

As I posted earlier I went car free spanning 10 years, but it wasn't especially difficult. I'd been a lifelong recreational cyclist since I was 16, live in an area where the riding is pretty decent, owned my own business, so getting to work wet or sweaty wasn't an issue, have no children to ferry around, and where I live is not far off from what approximates a 15 minute city.

Over the years, people would congratulate me for how I take care of my health, or while car free for doing so. I always clarify that I don't ride for health, or out of some sense of social awareness. I RIDE BECAUSE I ENJOY RIDING and everything else is an unintended benefit. I say this because I feel that people should have maximum freedom to arrange their lives as nest suits them, without pressure to be "good". Hopefully they will, but it should come from within, not from a sense of obligation.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 06-28-23 at 03:43 PM.
Likes For FBinNY: