View Single Post
Old 06-29-23, 06:26 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4575 Post(s)
Liked 5,113 Times in 3,157 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Seems like that's what they are saying. I just wanted to dispute the dogma. The other thing I quoted is just s shpiel from Canyon bikes. I could probably find more but meh.
I only read the Abstract of that study. How did they measure pedal effectiveness and what did they mean by pedal force feedback?

All the data I’ve seen from various studies of power measurement shows varying degrees of negative torque during the upstroke at normal cadence and relatively high power. Pro cyclists are generally better at minimising this negative upstroke torque ie they do a better job of unweighting their leg. If there is data to show someone producing significant positive torque on the upstroke while pedalling at a normal cadence and relatively high power I would love to see it. Maybe the study you linked shows that somewhere?

I ride clipless on my road bike and flats on my mtb. I don’t find my feet lifting up off the pedals during the upstroke when switching from clipless to flats. So I know I’m not producing power on the upstroke. I also rode mtb clipless for many years before switching to flats and I didn’t notice any significant loss in power.

But anyway, there are plenty of other good reasons to use clipless pedals, so definitely worth trying.
Likes For PeteHski: