Old 06-30-23, 01:30 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 677 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Hopefully a last point on the raging debate on flats versus clipless. I am not aware (a constant state of being) of rigid carbon or even plastic soled shoes that help in the power transfer to flat pedals. They may exist but they are out of my universe - but am sure someone will step up and correct me. Perhaps it’s not so much the pedals themselves but the mating of a stout soled shoe which doesn’t flex to the pedal which helps in power delivery. This goes for toe straps/rat traps too.
My observation is that the front to back length of a flat pedal and the relative thickness and stiffness of the shoe to resist bending at the front and back pedal edges are critical to whether a shoe seems stiff enough with flat pedals.

With sufficiently long pedals (typical modern flats at say 100mm or so rather than metal touring pedals at 60mm), the “shoe stiffness” bar isn’t that high.

My Lem’s Primal 2s are my favorite walking shoe with stack height of 9mm outsole plus 3mm insole. Tolerable biking on flats if there are low gears to allow reduced pedal force on climbs. Insufficient for single speed and not quite enough to not think about.

Lem’s Primal Zen are what I do ride. Stack height is 11mm outsole plus 3 mm insole and the outsole design is a bit stiffer. This is just enough that I never think about them.

I guess my other observation is that people who don’t build strength in their feet and ankles wearing minimal shoes may not have similar comfort level in these situations and may want a little more stack height.

Altras might be a good option if you want “minimal friendly” but more outsole stiffness. They have a wide, foot shaped last and typically a stack height of at least 20 mm.

Otto