View Single Post
Old 07-10-23, 03:50 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
No one. Bob was a fellow bike racer, it doesn't matter to me who might be better.
I'm a Bob Roll fan. His role as an announcer has changed over the years, from occasional Bobke spots for color commentary to anchoring the coverage in the Phil role in races other than the Tour. CVDV has come a long way, too. Phil & Paul will always be the voice of cycling in my mind, like Howard Cosell is of MNF and Jackie Stewart of motorcar racing. Heresy, but I think Bob & Christian do a better job than Phil & Bob.

Still, when I'm watching a race not culting Bobke and 'Murica, the coverage is far better for me with King Kelly and the ton of talent assembled around him. Philippe Gilbert on the motorbike this week, Jens next week, video calls into team cars, Robbie McEwen in the booth and on Orla's sofa-turned-barstool, etc. I know my wife is culting UK/Ireland, thinking of the olde sod and growing up listening to test match special. That's not my thing and I cheat on her now and then, watching the American coverage on the side. It has its moments but disappoints in the net and keeps driving me back.

I sometimes wish GCN would snatch Bobke from NBC. That would put the cat amongst the pigeons.
Likes For slcbob: