View Single Post
Old 07-14-23, 03:19 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
they are glazed and it only takes a bit of sanding to make them look normal. if I dont they dont grab. My mechanic at the shop thinks when I use a smaller hill to bed the pads in it may be causing them to glaze as its too much heat to start with and I may have overheaded the rotor and thats causing issues since they have glazed so many times. I showed the hill its way too steep and short to let the speed go we would hit 35mph or more its on 9 seconds of braking. I have been doing it for years with no problem till now.
ok.. you're misusing the term "glazing"... what you've been fighting is NORMAL "Bedding in" of the brakes... fresh pads are GRABBY. "Grabby" isn't consistent braking.

learn to use more front brake... Seriously.
and 35mph is fun to most riders.... about double that speed gets scary.. i love downhills.

brake with BOTH brakes for 3-5 seconds, release for 2-3 seconds, repeat as needed. What you want to achieve is a cooling of the INTERFACE between the pad surface and the Disc surface...this only takes a second or two... you are allowing the PLASMA created when Brakes Operate to dissipate... brakes turn motion into HEAT energy, Period. That SURFACE heat needs a way to dissipate.

Try this old M/C trick.. file tiny Grooves in the Pad surfaces... 1/4", tiny groove, 1/4", next tiny groove, etc...the Grooves will be filed as to route the PLASMA towards the outside of the caliper, at about a 45 deg. angle... ok? and quit just applying the brake all the way down your nemesis hill... report back with the results.

one other thing... pads that were seated to a different disc have LESS Contact with the new disc, period.. what happens to the areas that Do touch? They Get Used Harder... and get.. HOTTER.

a request.. could you post a pic of the DISCS involved? not seeing them here.... and if you simply post the brand/model number, then i look them up, i'll see hundreds of ads for bicycle brakes for the next several months, possibly years...... sigh.

Last edited by maddog34; 07-14-23 at 03:25 PM.