Old 07-19-23, 04:14 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 869 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by mams99
This post is near to my heart. As a woman, being overweight is uber embarrassing. Like, I have a Bike Friday I got secondhand. I am safely within the bike's weight limits, but if I go for a tour carrying all my gear? I'll be over that weight limit.

When I was at my absolute fittest, exercising an hour a day HARD 6 days a week I managed for a hot minute too get to 165 lbs. (docs say an idea weight for me would be around 160 with my body frame). On rare occasions I can get to 185 now with lots of consistent exercise and really watching what I eat, but I want to live somewhat normally, around 200lbs is sustainable. To weigh less, I'm starving or binging - NOT HEALTHY.

It took me until I was 53 to say F it. I'm a bigger woman - who skis and walks and hikes and bike rides AND I weigh more than 200 lbs and I'm pretty fit. (Hovering around 200-210 now).

Giving up exercise because people will look at you - or bike and fitness manufactures don't account for people over 250 lbs is not OK.
At a point in my life I was 315 lbs. In high school I was 195 pounds of muscle (at 5'5" I was a stump) then, with the help of carbs and weights I got that up to 225. Super stump. Then the inevitable happened, life.
I got caught up in this and that and stopped paying attention to diet. Next time I stepped onto a scale I was about 35 years old and 285. by 40 that was 315.
By starving myself I had that down to 250 by my late 40's
Then my friend bought me a book on the south beach diet. I learned the concept of good/bad carbs and slowly lost another 25 pounds in the next couple of years. I'm static at 150 pounds and have been over 7 years
I am 61, I eat when I'm hungry. It's what you eat, not how much.
Don't start a new diet, start a new food lifestyle.
Good luck.
Likes For Schweinhund: