Old 07-22-23, 09:52 PM
winfred0000

Bikes: 1998 Diamondback mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Braze-on vs bolt-on pannier rack mounts dilemma.

Age 69, retired, no car, subsist on Social Security and bicycle commuting. I’m planning bike tours with my Bucket List. Aiming for trial 1,500-2,000 mile trip, then possibly a last worldwide trip through 54 countries possibly taking several years. Have a 26 inch (spent $480 on custom wheels about 2 yrs ago) 1998 Diamondback mountain bike, 4130 Cro-Mo rigid frame. Need to carry camping gear and Surly racks seem the best (?). Frame builder suggested $790 for braze-ons including the Surly racks. I did research then I later asked him about the bolt-on strap style mounts he never brought up. He said he’ll do it with bolt-ons for $400 including the Surly racks and that plenty tour that way, but any more questions will require a consultation fee.

Concerned about bolt-on reliability. Unsure whether to save money and invest in braze-ons for added security during tours but face a very low budget reality. I still need to buy quite a lot of additional camping gear and Gotlieb front panniers. What would you do? Seeking advice on the reliability of bolt-ons for touring. Thanks for any advice!!