Bikes: 1998 Diamondback mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
screw that builder!
$800 for brazeons and racks?
AND consultation fee to answer questions?

racks are simple. local bike shop/coop can order what you want and install.
you probably have rack/fender mounts on the dropouts already............correct?
so the builder was just going to give you brazeons on the seatstays and midforks?
you'll be fine with heavy-duty P-clamps. use blue loctite, and check once a month.
Hi saddlsores!

The builder that looked at my bike this last attempt it took 10 days before he replied, same as my first attempt. I had already had him look at my bike in-person and that's when he quoted the $790 for Surly front and rear racks. $210 for three pairs of braze-ons front fork. He mentioned quite a few things about the rear including a second set of threaded islets at the "drop-outs" so if the existing ones broke they'd be a back-up set. Is that common? So the rear he said $280. He said he really likes the Nitto Japanese racks, but I later found out they cost twice as much as the Surly brand and that was after I'd said I'm a very low budget Senior and relying on my annual "Renter's Credit" to come late July or early August. He said the Surly racks come to $300. If Surly racks then add all together 210+280+300 to be $790 plus tax.

I didn't know bolt-ons existed. I thought all touring bikers had braze-ons. Even the four bike shops I went to that sell used parts and used bikes (some sell new too) virtually all never said anything about bolt-ons and all suggested the same guy to do the braze-ons, either that or buy new as used bikes with needed braze-ons don't exist as usually the owners try to hang onto their touring bikes.

I did research myself and discovered there are "bolt-ons" or straps. So for my first ever bike touring trip could be from 1,500 to 2,000 miles visiting relatives first time in years and going to a Provincial Park in Canada. Maybe... I hope to possibly bike/hitch across Canada and returning to Newfoundland. I hitched NFL for three weeks back in October 1989. Having panniers and no trailer I thought it might also be easier to get rides, although bike/hitching isn't my emphasis.

Also after that trial trip will be my big Bucket List last wish to tour the world through Mexico all the way to Terra del Fuego in Argentina then across to Africa from South Africa to Egypt or maybe the other direction to SE Asia and across to Europe and Africa...taking years to complete and at times in cheaper countries renting an apartment or room with a hot plate in an area that attracts me. That's my goal. It's funny as locally no one really in my recent attempts suggested bolt-ons! They just all named the same builder.

Then the builder after he email answered my last attempt 10 days later, he would never answer my questions and never did like he originally said when we met in-person to email me an itemized list of his quote. Then he said only consult fees from now on. When I tried to answer there was a general email block notice telling all, not just me, no clients or answers until after August 17th. I think he doesn't need me, plus I guess I don't represent myself very well, a common short-coming. I'm glad for the great advice here from all, and your great advice.

What if I bought the Surly racks myself and did the bolt-ons? Is DIY very difficult? The only space I have is my apartment but at this one coop shop you can rent a bike bench for $5 an hour (was the price 2 yrs ago), the same shop that never said anything about bolt-ons ha! Is one brand of bolt-on hardware better than another? I suppose maybe there are DIY tutorials about it.

Do you have a favorite brand of touring rack? Any other advice from you or others is greatly appreciated! I'm going to look at "Talus Logo EVO" rear rack, "Tara racks by Tubus" as another member advised, that's if I got the names right. Maybe I can do it all myself for about $350?

THANKS!!!
WINFRED
PS What is a heavy duty P-clamp? Are there various brands and one better than another? I also remember a shop said once all the braze-ons are installed they would then install the racks at $20 front and $20 rear.

Last edited by cb400bill; 07-26-23 at 06:56 AM. Reason: forgot some things and better grammar