View Single Post
Old 07-25-23, 10:42 AM
highandlowrpm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Senrab62
I never wrote it off. And 30-45 mph is crazy! What gear ratio and RPM are you getting to?

Bikes designed for the track are designed for the track and typically are typically harsher, more fatiguing, more chance for toe overlap, less likely to accommodate larger tires, less likely to have accomodations for water cage bosses or fenders, etc. Why would I want a less capable bike?

What makes you think that a road bike, or something designed for road l wouldn't be light, and responsive? Many people say that about Wabi, and they make one of the lighter production steel fixed gears on the market. I only mentioned them as an example. There are multiple option, that would meet your criteria and have water bottle bosses with slightly less aggressive geos.

If you look at my posts I have a pretty broad collection, including conversions all the way to true track. Spice is the variety of life. My next custom, will be more road like in geo and be versatile. Because I mainly ride.on the road. I never wrote off a track specific bikes, I own multiple. Just a point of what would be a better all rounder.
Yes, understand your point, that depending on use case one or other type might be more optimal. Though having N+1 bikes is always the best option

Regarding higher speeds, getting up to 35-40mph has been with an adjustment (for me) of dealing with a SS. Down steeper hills or down mountains, due to the gearing, I crank it up to 100-130rpm, and I’ve been practicing this year getting into as aero a tuck as possible to maximize speed and coasting distance (which translates into less energy expended, to save the energy for the other parts of the ride, including standing up climbing for bigger grades, and especially for the longer 40-50+ mile rides). For general riding including hills using 42x17/19, but for flats sometimes swap over to the 50x17/19 (WI Dos Eno 17/19 freewheel).

Btw, I did end up getting a geared road (hybrid) bike, since the 4000ft+ elevation rides were just a bit too much for my SS. But I keep going back to riding the SS bike whenever possible, for the simplicity, workout, lower maintenance and lighter weight.

Last edited by highandlowrpm; 07-25-23 at 11:38 AM.