Old 07-26-23, 10:19 AM
Danmozy66

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Sequoia, 1995 KHS Montana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
Champion 2 is from the same manufacturer of Prestige tubing, Tange. It is lower down the ladder, but not much. Very nice tubing.

I mean no disrespect, but if you're fine with the tubing weight of your '86 Sequoia, then just about any cro-mo frame will be fine. A Tange hi-ten frame comes out to 2700g, or about 200g heavier than your frame (though I have doubts to the veracity of the attached photo below...wouldn't be surprised if there were some fudging going on). A Raleigh Supercourse with straight gauge (i.e. not butted) 531 main frame and hi-ten fork/stays weighs about the same as your Sequoia.

Basically, what I'm saying is shoot for the geometry you want and make sure the frame at least is not made of Hi-ten tubing. Should be good as gold. I rode around on a 1982 Miyata 1200 for years. The main frame was double butted cro-mo, the stays hi-ten. Lovely bike, never felt like I was held back in the slightest.

Interesting share, thank you. Frame weight is one quantitative thing, but maybe qualitative ride quality is another thing too. And I suppose the champion 2 being the exact tubing that the was Special Series that the sequoia used wasn’t official either but rather it was another poster’s best guess, so who really knows.

I’d be curious to weigh the sequoia because it really feels lighter than 23lbs esp with a less clunky saddle and post. But I can’t really see it being comparable to straight gauge tubing in terms of ride

Last edited by Danmozy66; 07-26-23 at 10:25 AM.