View Single Post
Old 07-30-23, 01:48 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5922 Post(s)
Liked 2,806 Times in 1,568 Posts
Hard to say either way about this wheel. Yes, spokes not engaging the nipple's head are less than ideal, but a brass nipple is not that much weaker than a 2mm spoke. If the wheel were built with DB spokes, I wouldn't worry at all.

OTOH the real issue isn't the build, but the builder. A length difference between leading and trailing spokes is 100% avoidable and I consider it evidence of an inept builder.

There two possibilities.

It's either a case of the hub being twisted with respect to the rim. Something that doesn't happen if the builder starts out with all spokes pulled up to the same length, something that all decent builders do.

The second possibility is much more serious. This pattern may indicate that the spokes from thd right an left flanges aren't phased properly. This happens during the lacing, usually to amateur builders who fail to route spokes correctly when lacing the second flange.

Either way, this is a vote of no confidence in the builder, and I wouldn't take his wheels far from home.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY: