Old 07-31-23, 11:40 AM
06muller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like I can only post 5 replies within 24 hours, don't know if that's overall forum rules or just because my account is still new. I'll try to respond to everyone here where I had some thoughts. I'm grateful for the feedback so far. I'm still curious what the un-changeable differences between the two bikes are -- such as, if I were to get a Medium, and try to make it into a Large in all possible ways, what would be left that I couldn't realistically change? I could get a longer stem, larger handlebars, a longer seat post... But the frame itself would be both shorter and not as tall, right? By how much?

Originally Posted by Maelochs
[tl;dr: [i] Whatever you buy will be fine and you can adjust or even replace it .... don't stress.]

Maybe not well-suited for the frame you are choosing but consider this

Every human body is different in shape and proportion. Three men (or five women ro whatever) can have the same height and inseam and be completely different in every proportion, with wider or narrower hips or shoulders, longer or shorter arms ... even shorter thighs or lower legs. Each would need a different sized frame, with more or less eat post exposed, different stem, maybe different bar dimensions, to be comfortable on a bike.
Yup, that totally makes sense, I was just shocked to learn I was smack dab in the middle of the L category, as opposed to being right on the cusp of M and L, which makes me feel it's less likely I'm simply oddly proportioned.. Perhaps the L I rode was still not adjusted properly.

Bikes big soft seats often feel comfortable out of the box, but if you ride more than a dozen miles the seat might start to chafe and interfere with your pedaling.
Yup! Luckily from all my research I had already learned this -- and I will be looking for a firm saddle that fits me properly.

If you buy small you can stretch the frame with seat post, stem, and bar adjustments. if you buy big you can shrink the frame with a hacksaw and a welder.
Ha, this certainly makes it sound easier to make an M feel like an L than the other way around!

If you buy too big or too small, you will not be comfortable and will not enjoy riding the bike.
Meaning, if the M was "too small" I would already know?

keep us posted.
will do!

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
To 06muller:
1. I am also 5'-10.5".
2. Cycling inseam is generally longer than pants inseam, because (a) cycling inseam is measured from your crotch (to accurately reflect your leg length), and (b) you want your pants to end at your ankles rather than touching the floor. In other words, you would need to wear some super tight pants pulled up to your belly button for the two measurements to be the same.
3. My first bike (in adulthood) was a Trek FX 2, size 56 (i.e., L), even though the standover height is barely sufficient, and all three of my subsequently acquired road bikes are size 54.
4. If the FX 3 feels better to you, just get it instead of the Verve.
Yeah, the FX 3 in Large felt like it fit well. but I do really like the upright positioning on the Verve. Although maybe I could get an FX 3 if it's comfortable for sporty fitness rides and then also get a Townie Go or something for really relaxed rides since that's far more upright than even the Verve is.

Originally Posted by RoadWearier
I have your exact dimensions. I felt comfortable on a large fx3. Certainly wasn't too tall. Obviously riding it for a few miles is the best way to tell. I did feel like I was on my wrists a bunch even with the seat adjusted properly which maybe a sign I was still leaning forward too much. But I'd still guess large for you.

I would also recommend the fx3 over the Verve all day long.
Unless you just have to sit straight up on a bike you are going to feel like a wind sail and will feel much slower. Unless you REALLY want a very casual ride I'd go with the fx3
​​​​​
I didn't find the Verve and FX that different for short rides, just more leaned forward on the FX. I do most of my riding out of the saddle, since my neighborhood is very hilly, so I am either standing up to go up a hill, or sitting momentarily to ride down one.