Old 07-31-23, 02:51 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5984 Post(s)
Liked 2,914 Times in 1,619 Posts
Not an excuse, but a possible explanation for those who wonder, "how could this happen".

There's a thing called "target fixation" whereby we fixate on things and end up running into what we're trying to avoid. Possible it's an acquired instinct left over from our past lives as an apex predator. This may be why drivers crash into things on shoulders that they couldn't not see, including tractor trailers, emergency vehicles, police cars with strobes flashing, and, unfortunately, cyclists.

There's things we can do to overcome target fixation, like training ourselves to focus where we want to go (escape path) rather than the hazard we want to avoid, but that won't help when the it's the driver behind us fixating.

Target fixation is one reason I avoid riding on shoulders or even the right edge. By riding in the lane, I'm in the driver's central zone of vision, and my lateral movement to the right as he approaches helps break the fixation, which (hopefully) stays locked in the place I was.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY: