Old 08-01-23, 01:50 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by cellery
I'm getting the sense that the introduction of dashcam equivalents on bikes has created a large number of safety karens
the percieved slight of a cyclist by another cyclist
My own sense is that OP was more "amused" than "slighted"

Speaking in terms of other videos it's interesting how many of the "can you believe what someone did to me" examples that get posted (especially on sites dedicated to that) show a mix of non-strategic or downright improper operation on the part of the camera owner which may practically overshadow what they're trying to complain about. Sure though, cameras due sometimes capture egregious, unilateral misbehavior. And there are times when I wish I'd been running one. But those are other situations, not this video by this poster.

I thought the clip was shared as much out of amusement as to complain. I'm not sure the passing cyclist is setting a quite commendable example, but the fact is they have a great view of the situation, they're passing with a wide margin, and there's pretty much no way anyone in OP's stationary position could have accelerated from a stop fast enough while being passed to create a conflict, (at least short of suddenly trying to make a left turn from that righthand position.) Had OP started moving on the leading pedestrian interval (allowed elsewhere but probably not there) the overtaking cyclist would have seen that and taken it into account. It's the fact that OP was visibly stopped which made the maneuver work.

Last edited by UniChris; 08-02-23 at 10:01 AM.