urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Of course you’re in position to deem what is insignificant to me, them, or anyone other than yourself, but I suppose I know what you’re trying to say. I’m not sure I agree, though.

It’s easy for me to imagine that while there may not be any aero penalty at some angles, it’s equally easy to imagine a tilt of the head having dramatic negative effects from the peak on drag.

Pushing up towards a village limit sprint zone with my buddies pushes me near the limit, and then the jockeying for position involves lots of head-checking to see what’s happening and who’s where. Might a peak/visor/brim/bill cost me power and/or speed at a crucial moment? I dunno, but I don’t want to find out either. I only have a handful of moments each summer when I’m in a proper physical state to contest such sprints for the “win,” and while there are no prizes, trophies or memorials for the moments, I derive joy and pride from them, and we often recall them as a group with jokes and great fondness, so they are significant…to me.
I was responding directly to the OP who seemed to imply that they are not racing and even laughed at the thought of saving maybe 30 seconds. If you’re involved in sprints (even just for fun) that are decided by inches, by all means the aero might have an impact.