I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 1,060 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
So, ILTB, I'm interested in what you would like us to discuss, instead of performance and similar issues, for that 5% or even for a larger percentage of topics? I too am not interested anymore in comparative performance. I'm much more interested in maintaining some level of fitness as I go through my '80s, which I know is going to be less than in the past, and continuously diminishing.
So, ILTB, what would be of interest to you for discussions on a 50 plus forum, if anything?
It seems to me that most of the discussion about fitness on this list, as well as nutrition and other heath related topics on this list is as a means for maximizing cycling performance, or how to regain the cycling performance levels from back in the days of previous participation in competitive events or club rides. I have no objection if that is what most of the 50+ posters want to discuss. I was just pointing out that so many 50+ posts are about cycling performance goals metrics and methods to "improve" them dominate so many discussions. At least one poster apparently feels that it is snobbish to consider that there can be enjoyable cycling at the age of 50+ without being concerned about being "dropped."

Are there many or any posters on the 50+ list who enjoy riding their bicycle for local transportation and or recreational purposes and do not obsess over maximizing performance, set performance goals. or agonize over the need to "improve" their cycling performance, and are unconcerned about being "dropped" by other cyclists?

Ya know, shopping, commuting, visiting friends and relatives, enjoying the sights, nature and people along the way; just riding around without Strava, Power Meters or recording performance stats, without a need for recovery days, without a need for setting arbitrary performance goals (more speed, more miles), just enjoying bicycling at 50+ without making it a contest.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike: