View Single Post
Old 08-05-23, 11:03 AM
indyfabz

Liked 17,421 Times in 8,135 Posts
Originally Posted by a_d_a_m
This may be a somewhat strange suggestion, but you could try finding a tour on AdventureCycling and don't sign up for it, but be out there on your own.

For example, local to me is an Ohio To Erie Trail supported tour from September 17-24th. You could set out on it with a similar itinerary and see who you meet along the way - maybe there are some like-minded touring veterans, or perhaps it's a new person who is in the process of getting bit by the touring bug.
IDK. I spent one night each with 2 different ACA tours that I crossed paths with. Another stopped for lunch at a place I was camping. There wasn’t much mixing. The people seemed wary of strangers, especially because I was alone.

My first encounter was with ACA’s North Star tour, from Missoula to Alaska. Sprague Creek Campground in Glacier NP. I had done Logan Pass the year before, so the leader invited me to dinner and to talk about what they were going to face the next day. As I was wailing in line to fill my bowl I heard one tour participant ask the leader “What? Did that guy just bum dinner off of us?” (I had bought groceries before entering the park and had been fully prepared to cook my own meal of penne and broccoli.)

The second overnight encounter was with their Cycle Montana supported tour. We all camped at the same place. Again, there was little interest in what I was doing, although one woman told me I reminded her of Andre the Giant walking around in my black bibs with my jersey off. (It was warm out and I wanted to pitch my tent before showering so I could get a good spot.) The leader invited me to breakfast the next morning. Sitting at a communal table, I was largely ignored. I have to wonder if being self contained made some people insecure about being on a fully supported trip.