Old 08-14-23, 02:19 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Ebikes that have a throttle that doesn't require pedaling at all, even if they have pedals, to me, have the same status as mopeds, that is, are motorcycles.
I appreciate that things may be different where you live.

I was just going by the legal definition as written in many of the motor vehicle acts within much of the the US. A moped is a motor driven bicycle, typically under 50cc. If it does not have pedals and is over a certain power output it is then considered a motorcycle. In my locality a licence plate and drivers licence is required for both vehicles

Originally Posted by zandoval
It's pretty simple...

A bicycle with a motor is called a motorcycle.

motorcycle - mō′tər-sī″kəl -noun
  1. A two-wheeled motor vehicle resembling a heavy bicycle, sometimes having two saddles and a sidecar with a third wheel.
  2. A bicycle or tricycle operated by some form of motor as well as by pedals.
  3. A two-wheeled vehicle having a motor attached so as to be self-propelled.
But don't get me wrong... I love motorcycles. I just don't confuse them with bicycles. Got my first motorcycle at 11. It was a 1953 Cushman Highlander. Never could keep it running. 50 years latter my Mom admitted to sneaking water into the gas tank to keep me off of it...
You copied and pasted from wordnik ? Now look up moped from the same website.

Have a read from the people that make the laws in the US - https://www.nhtsa.gov/interpretations/nht81-329. If you don't believe them ask google

Last edited by daviddavieboy; 08-14-23 at 02:39 AM.
Likes For daviddavieboy: