Old 08-14-23, 08:58 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,050 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
And if you are so small that needing to see people pedal their bikes even if the pedaling is pointless ... that's just ... small. Those monowheel things ... stand up scooters ... motorcycles by any reasonable definition? Whelp, I think its time to stop supporting the irrational e-bike hate that proliferates on BF and really start shaming the haters. E-bikes are here. They aren't going anywhere. I don't ride one (yet) but I don't think that people that do, or want to, are damned to hellfire.
Monowheels? Those things barely get out of their own way and the users seem fairly chillax. Its not about hating, although if that's how you view any disagreement you must live in a very angry world, its about what's reasonably safe for everyone. Your rights stop where another's start. The question is what reasonably defines a bicycle and where is it reasonable to use them. This new trek is clearly not a bicycle, the pics and ads don't really even support the idea, so why is it being called and considered a bicycle and not being treated as a moped or scooter and why would it be unreasonable to limit them to where those respective vehicles are found?

Originally Posted by Maelochs
People who will ride dangerously on an e-bike will do it on a skateboard, a pedal bike, in a car, on inline skates ...

As a few others have mentioned ... if more people want to use (comparative to cars) slower, smaller vehicles in dedicated lanes ... we All benefit from that. Less pollution, less traffic, and more cycling infrastructure.

The biggest issue I see here is this: You guys. There simply are not that many e-bikes out there, and most of those seem to be operating a mini-motorcycles ... but are not exceptionally faster than a fast cyclist (way faster than me,) and because of the limits of Darwin ... if they get crazy or stupid enough they will die. You can make really stupid mistakes in a car which will leave you crippled or dead on a bike, motorized or not.
That's just it, put them in the bike lanes and not the MUP, especially the scooters. Riding the Hudson River Greenway is an interesting thing, I don't find the majority of ebike riders to be that bad, no worse than the nuts doing their training rides, but the scooters are a whole different issue. But at the end of the day the roads are for motorized vehicles, keep them off the mixed use path.

As to how many users there are, location matters. I live on LI, outside of seeing a couple at the local MTB trails which is understandably upsetting to the local MTB organization, I never see any on LI. (The club has to have insurance to maintain and use many of the trails that they've made available to the public and Ebikes aren't covered under the insurance that protects them from people who screw up on the trail. But it doesn't mean they can't be sued by someone riding or injured by an uncovered ebike user.) Head to NYC and I can be sitting at a red light in the bike lane with a dozen other people and half are ebikes, and they're absolutely everywhere; this is a trend I'd love to see flourish since I'm too freaked out to ride the streets of western LI but enjoy riding most of NYC, LI drivers are f'n nuts and don't believe in other road users.

Originally Posted by john m flores
It's amazing that in the midst of a historic rise in road fatalities caused by distracted driving of ever larger SUVs and pickup trucks, we seem to spend more time debating the dangers of an 80lb ebike vs a diesel-spewing dually.
Doesn't seem completely unreasonable. https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...jfi-story.html
I do agree that vehicle size needs to be strongly addressed, like an excess tax on any non-commercially used vehicle engine with more than 6 cylinders or over a certain displacement and strict mpg limits that include all trucks. That'll get trucks to shrink as people struggle to get the behemoths up to speed, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking at the full picture. NYC also put large steel posts and barriers along the MUP to keep those trucks out of it along with the rest of the cars so people could feel safe despite walking and riding next to vast amounts of traffic. Right now ebikes are seeing a rise in fatalities, they are causing injuries and deaths to others they run into, and they're burning down buildings, a little oversight isn't the worst idea.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Maybe I missed it but 5 pages and I'm not sure any pics of the subject ebike have been posted. Seems cool to me!

Looks fun, and insanely overpriced. Wouldn't mind one for the grocery runs if they made it affordable but now anything trek seems like it has a 30% markup for the name.