View Single Post
Old 08-15-23, 03:41 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,216 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
I knew I'd get busted for that seatpost! Hey, it was the first months of the pandemic, I didn't have a silver post the right size, and couldn't find one anywhere. And I had a roll of black tape, but no red. Also, I never managed to learn much about LeJeunes, or what the original specs of this model might have been, or what model it is, or the year of manufacture. Around 1973-4? In building it up, I relied on semi-educated guesswork, and what I had in my parts bin at the time.

I suppose I could have been clearer in my original post. It's not that the bike is too good for me, really--I consider myself to be a good person with a certain amount of patina--but that I have also been working on downsizing for several years. I've owned as many as eight or nine bikes at one time (which is nothing around here, I realize), but I set myself the goal of whipping the total down to three. I now have a modern touring bike (a ten-year-old Long Haul Trucker 26); a Univega Viva Sport with studded tires for winter use, and a paint-challenged Gitane TDF for the fun of it.

So the LeJeune spot is already filled by the Gitane, and I am happy with that because the Gitane and I have a history, and the LeJeune and I don't. Here's hoping it goes to someone who specifically wants it.
Haven't seen too many Gitane TdFs that I'd call pristine and too nice to ride. Those things tend to be more on the scruffy and loveable side. Yours probably has plenty of scratches already and you don't have to worry about it. They ride great too.

Did Big Chainring share with you all the info he had about the LeJeune? Would be good to know more about it.