View Single Post
Old 09-05-23, 08:47 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 394 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
That does sound like a plan. Being so short, I could probably do five intervals. That particular hill is right at the 10 mile mark so it would be 10 miles there, do five intervals, then 10 miles home. May not impress some hard core cyclists, but that would be a pretty good workout for me.
Originally Posted by genejockey
Mash up that hill, roll back the bottom, mash up the hill, roll back to the bottom. Lather, rinse, repeat. Call it "Hill Intervals". Throw that in in the middle of the ride.

That will be of some value in getting generally fitter and training yourself for 2 minute efforts, but its not of much help in training for sustained climbing. The 2 minute efforts are not targeting the right energy system. If you want be able to do long climbs, you need to raise your sustainable w/kg. So doing 2x20s on flat ground will actually do more for your ability to do long climbs.

So while short hill repeats have some benefits, and I agree you should do them; that should not be lieu of doing longer intervals aimed at raising ftp, qhich ultimately will do more to help your climbing.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.