Old 09-08-23, 06:51 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Go watch the GCN video. They do the hard work of demonstrating that power washers don’t harm bearings. If that isn’t enough, here’s something from NSK bearings. The tests they did are 2 hours in length using water jets of close to 1600 psi. Granted there are differences between bearings but NSK who makes the bearings seem to feel they aren’t delicate.

I recall all the hullabaloo early external bearings. I also recall the same hullabaloo about ISIS bearings. Again, I have not had any bearings that I personally own fail. I see very few failures even with handling dozens to hundreds of used sealed bottom brackets of all flavors at my co-op.
It is important to recognize the NSK seals on those tests are not what most cyclist have. I know you know but it is worth saying that the seals have the majority of frictional losses followed by the grease. Consequently, many high end bikes have less effective seals and grease formulations that are not as effective against water intrusion. For example, NTN LLB have non contacting seals. Water will get in. These bearings are "only" $25 each and I doubt the bikes you have seen have had such bearings. And let's not even take about CeramicSpeed. The fact is, generalizing isn't easy to do. Blasting high pressure on the bearings and grease used on most my bikes would be damned foolish. My Mt bike and touring bike have very robust bearing seals and grease and would very, very likely not have an issue with my power washer. But really how hard it is to direct the water close to but not causing any potential ingress to the bearings. Thus, just don't be stupid with the spray. You'll be fine. If you have a grand of Ceramic Speed bearings, you shouldn't be washing your bike yourself anyways....