Old 09-10-23, 06:40 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
It looks like your question is in terms of an extended trip of several months so I'll answer in that context rather than a short one-week or two-week ride.

In terms of longer cross-continent trips, I've done N/S trips:
- Along the Pacific Coast from Vancouver to Tijuana (and then later down Baja)
- Along the Atlantic Coast from Key West to Halifax Nova Scota (and later up through Nova Scotia and out out to St Johns Newfoundland)
- In the middle roughly along US 83 - from Brownsville to the Canadian Border
- From North to South from Prudhoe Bay to Banff to Colorado to Socorro NM and then west to San Diego

I've also done E/W trips:
- Across Canada from Fairbanks to St Johns Newfoundland
- Across Northern US from Astoria Oregon to Portland Maine
- Through the middle from San Jose/Reno/Salt Lake City/Fort Collins/Wichita/Memphis/Cincinnati/Pittsburgh (still need to add Pittsburgh to DC)
- Across Southern US from San Jose to San Diego and southern Tier to St Augustine

You didn't mention time of year but that is also a consideration (Southern Tier not in the summer and some others prefer the summer; a S/N or N/S route also plan the time).

As far as scenery goes between some of these trips: I would put the Pacific Coast at top of the list followed by routes through the Rockies - so either a northern or mid route across the US. I would put the southern tier lower and the east coast is also lower.

As far as people goes, I haven't necessarily found found big differences. There is a trade off between going on an established route e.g. TransAmerica or Pacific Coast - or going off on your own route. It has been in some of these off-route areas where I've connected more but that is at least as much a factor of time I spend. The other factor that sometimes comes into the people is sometimes you can use the bike trip as an excuse to stop in on relatives or family on the way - so that depends on who you know where.
lots of good thoughts here. I have not ridden all of them but most. I agree that the west coast is a good choice. I would rate Key West to Maine lower. However, continuing to Nova Scotia would not totally change my mind but with the Nova Scotia addition, it would be rated higher for me.

I would toss in Europe. Our 2 month ride from Venice to Paris was a pleasure for site-seeing and food.