Old 09-12-23, 11:55 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...and if I suddenly find myself in a bad part of town, I want something that goes at least 30mph to get me out of there.
Mine will sustain 38 mph with me pumping hard. Unfortunately I've tested the bad neighborhood theory.

Another complication is motors are typically rated in output power, but all people on line talk about is battery draw. There are on line calculators showing battery draw vs. actual motor output power. Max volts on a 52 V battery is 58 volts, and the controller is hard limited to 30 amp input, so almost 1800 watts into the controller. But if one looks at the on line calculators I would be lucky to ever hit the 1 HP output power with the gearing I have

So what does the 750 watts really refer to?

All of this makes it virtually impossible to enforce these rules with a typical ebike. Most motors are capable of peak powers well in excess of the limit, but have program limits to hold them under the maximum. Can't go by model and battery, the cop would need to check the programming as well.

BTW, anything over 1 hp is a motor vehicle and not a low power ebike. that means the rider needs to be licensed and insured, bike must have a horn, turn signals, lights, etc.