Old 09-12-23, 04:49 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 967 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
No, I am not. And I know you know that.
What you said was dumb. And you managed to carefully elide all the reasons why it was dumb.

The fact of coasting has nothing to do with where the energy is coming from.

The commercial e-bikes I have seen (Cannondale, which my wife has, Trek, Specialized, Santa Cruz, etc) don't have optional throttles, as far as I am aware.
There is likely a reason they don't have throttles. It's not them being "disingenuous" (weird word to use) as somebody else said. I suspect a big part of it is to make them work with the established bicycle laws.

I took my e-bike conversion out for a quick spin yesterday, and used the throttle more....
Note that I don't care whether you use or like having a throttle.

My wife could really benefit from having a throttle to get (re)-started, and it could potentially help her avoid further injury. If we could add one to her bike, I would....
The regular bike companies are making e-bikes that are legally bicycles in every state (that can be used in every place normal bicycles can). They are making a choice to make their e-bikes more like regular bicycles than like electric mopeds. Since people manage to use regular bicycles without throttles, they should be able to manage to use e-bikes without throttles.

Of course, nothing is going to work for everybody.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-12-23 at 05:10 PM.