Old 09-13-23, 05:58 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Obviously you feel strongly about this. I'm not convinced it's a car culture thing.

If I'm a hit man, or someone otherwise purposely trying to kill someone with a car, then it is definitely not an "accident". But since we are all "innocent until PROVEN guilty" in the USofA, then pretty much every crash is assumed to be by accident at first glance.

So other than the "hit man" scenario and a long list of negligence on the part of the operator (driving intoxicated, distracted, etc.) humans and mechanical contraptions are far from perfect. Most motorists do not want to ruin their expensive vehicles, waste their time at the scene, and maybe in court, or hurt anyone. People's minds wander. We didn't evolve to operate our brains at "mile-per-minute" speeds. Regardless of fault (an insurance company / ambulance chaser perspective) assuming the motorist is not KNOWINGLY impaired, most crashes are "accidents". Honest mistakes made by imperfect beings mostly incapable of "mile-a-minute" perfect judgement.

Like it or not, if it wasn't on purpose, it's an accident to almost everybody. Sorry the semantics causes you so much grief.
I'm not going to wait around for extensive study and research to decide CONCLUSIVELY that this is 100% true.

And even if it's 100% false, you should STILL USE THE WORDS I SUGGEST! They're far more objective. They do not make erroneous assumptions. They are far better.

BTW, a driver doored a father riding with his 5-year old daughter around Lake Merritt a month ago. She died as a result of her injuries. Driver fails to obey CVC 22517 at a cit park with a bike lane, yet I'm sure many will call it a "honest mistake, an accident, or a horrible unavoidable tragedy." This is what usage of this word creates. It excuses law-breaking by drivers. I'm sure the media, after using the "a" word, will immediately ask, "Was the cyclist wearing a helmet?"

This is ALMOST ALWAYS THE CASE, as if there's always this subconscious need to deflect blame and responsibility FROM the driver and ONTO the victim. I call ********.

BTW, I just learned that TWO friends were sent to the ICU in the last year by irresponsible drivers. Two riders with EXTENSIVE training, racing and touring experience (50 years for both) almost killed by irresponsible behavior behind the wheel.

Where the dad & girl were hit? I WAS HIT 1/4 MILE AWAY IN THE SAME BIKE LANE two years ago! This is Lake Merritt where bikes, people, joggers, skaters, scooter riders and every other form of recreation are happening. Yet drivers cannot possibly drive with even more care here. Nope, it's "Me, me, me, ME! I HAVE TO GET WHERE I'M GOING.... AND NOW!"

This is homicidal behavior and needs to be treated and punished as such.

Yeah, I have VERY strong feelings on the subject. Sorry I get irate when drivers murder vulnerable road users. I guess I'm kinda touchy that way.

PS Oh and I just remembered: This VERY SAME stretch of road? Drivers on two occasions I know of personally, have gone into the oncoming lane to floor it and pass multiple cars and bicyclists. It's ******g mayhem out there and I'm ******G SICK OF IT!
Likes For LV2TNDM: