Thread: Speed Kills
View Single Post
Old 09-18-23, 12:01 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2531 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 535 Posts
This thread has taken a bizarre turn. Motorists do not care a whit what a cyclist wears. Your street clothes do NOT make you more acceptable to a cager. Only your being in a car of your own lets you in their exclusive club, so stop hating on Spandex wearers. I'm not sure what you expect a Cat 3 roadie out for a training ride to wear. Cut-off's and Chuck Taylors?? And no, I don't see head to toe Spandex on the main commute routes. That just doesn't happen. So stop it.

When me and mine commute to work I do NOT wear Khakis and a Dockers button down under a Levis Jacket. That would be stupid. I change into those once off the bike. For any trip longer than a mile I'm wearing cycling tights or shorts and they just might have Spandex in them. Sue me. It's my (fine) @$$ so I'm not sure why anyone else should care what I wear over it. I probably will not wear a Team colors Jersey but my zip-off sleeve cycling jacket is cut long in back and has 3 pockets across the back, just like you know what ... again, sue me. I've been commuting in get up like that for years and guess who buys it all. My DW, blind since birth. Has never seen a cyclist but manages to look very much like one when cycling. She can navigate the Terry website to buy herself a pair of shorts or SPD shoes, and can do the same on Amazon and order me a pair of Pearl Izumi shorts to cycle in. SMH.

When we join our tandem club for a 40 miler through the Vineyards and back-roads, Spandex is the order of the day. We would not be allowed to participate without a pointy helmet (pointy?) and cut-offs could not be prohibited, but we would probably get some questions about what we are going to do if we get saddle sore and cannot finish the ride. Our club does not drop dnf's but they would sure be pissed at having to scrub a perfectly good ride because a team came improperly dressed and suffered because of it. WTF are some of you smoking? Give it up. It's making you cray cray. Not a good look.
Likes For Leisesturm: