View Single Post
Old 09-18-23, 11:15 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Liked 1,394 Times in 709 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
This is what happens when a company like Dorel outsourced a production to Taiwan resulting in unemployment and lower quality in my own opinion. I will never buy a modern Cannondale, I would rather buy a vintage one roadbike model the last year of the made in USA Cannondale. In 2004, Dorel acquired Pacific Cycle, a company that designs, markets, and distributes branded bicycles and other recreational products. In February 2008, Dorel purchased the Cannondale Bicycle Corporation and SUGOI Performance Apparel. In July 2009, Dorel announced its acquisition of Iron Horse Bicyles. In August 2013, Dorel announced its acquisition of Brazil-based Bicicletas Caloi S/A.
Dorel marketed its sports products under the brand names of Cannondale, Schwinn, GT Bicycles, Moongoose, Caloi, Ironhorse,Roadmadter, SUGOI (sold to Garneau June 2018), and Fabric. In October 2021, Dorel Sports was sold to Dutch Pon Holdings. Who is Pon Holdings? Pon Holdings BV is a Dutch conglomerate in the transport sector. It was founded in 1980 by Ben Pon, Jr., a former racing car driver and son of Ben Pon, Sr., who became the importer of Volkswagen in the Netherlands in 1947. As of 2021 it is still owned by the Pon family.
It is one of the five largest bicycle manufacturers in the world, and owns bicycle brands Caloi, Cannondale, Cervélo, Derby Cycle (owner of Focus), GT, Gazelle, Iron Horse, Kahlkoff, Mongoose, Santacruz, Veloretti and Schwinn, among others.
I find amusing those who wax poetically about made in USA yet wouldn’t want their children or other loved ones working on a production line in a factory monotonously welding, painting or finishing frames 8 hours a day for a decade or more. If you feel better buying a vintage bike made by a laborer in France, England or Italy in the 80’s enjoy there is plenty to choose from, however don’t kid yourself these were bastions of quality workmanship compared to what is being made in Taiwan today.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged: