Old 09-23-23, 11:51 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 317 Posts
Get tubeless wheels if you need them and run tubeless tires. I have been running GP5000s and Vittoria Corsa. The Vittoria seem to last longer, but I like the ride of the GP5000s better. If you have been running something like a Gator-skin or an Armadillo or a Marathon you will notice the improvement in ride and speed.

I noticed that my rear tire was low on pressure on my ride this morning when I was about 8 miles from home. But it didn't go completely flat, and I rode it home.

Once I got home, inspection showed a fresh cut of about 4 mm in the tread. Pressure had dropped from the 6.2 bar (90 psi) I started with to about 3 bar. Since it had been a few months since I had added sealant I put 40 ml of Orange Seal Endurance sealant in the tire and put it back to full pressure.

Note that what I did not do was spend time on the side of the road in the rain patching or replacing a tube. I also didn't have a tire go completely flat and dump me on the pavement when I turned.

A low end tubeless carbon wheel set will run you under $700. You can get an aluminum DT Swiss tubeless wheel set for a bit less. Better than a crash.
Likes For DangerousDanR: